the , as a part of the higher education act of 1965, is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose certain timely and annual information about campus crime and security policies. all public and private institutions of postsecondary education participating in federal student-aid programs are subject to it. the act includes:
- Publishing an annual report disclosing campus security policies and three years' worth of selected crime statistics.
- Making timely warnings to the campus community about crimes that pose an ongoing threat.
- Keeping a public crime log.
- Upholding basic rights to victims of sexual assault.
- Making accurate crime statistics available to the U.S. Department of Education, which centrally collects and disseminates campus crime statistics at the national level.
- Facing possible fines from the U.S. Department of Education when schools fail to comply with the Clery Act.
下载博万通campus crime, arrest and referral statistics include those reported to the nmu police department, as well as designated campus security authoities including, but not limited to, directors, deans, department heads, designated student support staff, advisers to students and student organizations, athletic coaches and local law enforcement agencies.
the "clery act" is named in memory of 19-year-old lehigh university freshman jeanne ann clery, who was raped and murdered on april 5, 1986, while asleep in her residence hall room.
下载博万通her parents, connie and howard clery, later discovered that students hadn't been told about 38 violent crimes on the lehigh campus in the three years before her murder. they joined with other campus crime victims and persuaded congress to enact this law, which was originally known as the "crime awareness and campus security act of 1990." a 1998 amendment formally named the law in memory of jeanne clery.
Click here to learn more about the Clery Act and NMU’s Clery reports.
下载博万通in addition, the nmu police department reports the required annual crime statistics to the u.s. department of education. this information is available online at .